Two roads diverged in a wood, and I- I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference.

-Robert Frost-

Monday, November 22, 2010

Li xile!

On thursday, we found where we're going for the next two years and then promptly left Namaacha for mental health break. I spent all weekend eating seafood pizza, laying on the beach, and reflecting on my site, or what I know about it.
Here it is: I'll be in Chimundo, a small villa of the larger town of Chibuto, in Gaza province (still south Mozambique, just north of Maputo province). My organization is a preschool/ kindergarten/ day care run by a Mozambican nun and supported by a Portuguese church. I will be living directly behind the center and working with young children and OVCs. This is a new site but I have two education sitemates from moz14. There is a mercado (market) nearby where I can buy everything I need. I've heard a lot of good things about my house, which is apparently BIG and new (two bedrooms, a kitchen, a living room, outside bathroom).
Before giving us the envelopes with our site placements, we were told 'life may not lead you where you thought you wanted to go, but have faith that you are exactly where you are meant to be!' and I find this absolutely reassuring. Several trainees began crying when they found out their site, which I find a little ridiculous because ultimately what will matter is the work we do, not what part of the country we're in. Although this specific site was not on my top three, it did make the list of 13 (the health volunteers got a chance last week to see a coded description of all 24 sites and pick our top 13). And in a strange way, this site is perfectly fitting. For instance, I mentioned in my placement interviews that I do not have a strong health background and that I would be interested in working with children. Working at an escolinha will give me an opportunity to create my own health projects, especially on the topics that interest me such as nutrition, hygiene and sanitation, malaria prevention, etc. All in all, im super anxious to be done with training in two weeks and move onto the next phase of Peace Corps service! I'd say that most if not all of us are consumed with thoughts of site.
The beaches in Bilene were beautiful- the water was so clear and blue. We rented two houses for the weekend. There were beds but not enough, so many people slept or passed out on the floor. The first night we had a dj and everyone danced and drank and had a good time. I felt like I was back in college, at a house party, which I'm not sure is a good thing...
We swear in on dec 3, at the ambassador's house. All of us are having capulana clothes made from matching print. The ceremony will be on national news! If all goes well, all 70 of us will become official peace corps volunteers. However, this is contingent upon our performance on next week's LPIs and approximately 15 people are in danger of not passing (and may have to stay in Namaacha until they do pass). In the meantime the rest of us are moving on to learning local languages. In my region the local language is Changana, something so different from any language I've studied in my life. I doubt I will be fluent by the end of two years, but at least I'll know a little.
Thus far, only one trainee (a health volunteer) has decided to leave mozambique due to personal reasons (ET- early termination). This same volunteer was mugged in front of her homestay house several weeks ago, just another reminder that as foreigners we are and always will be perceived differently.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

congrats!

Post a Comment