Two roads diverged in a wood, and I- I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference.

-Robert Frost-

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Missing

Things I will miss about Mozambique
  • Speaking Portuguese
  • My dogs Mel and Magorducha
  • My theatre group jovens
  • Mandaring children to do things for me
  • Capulana clothing
  • Beach trips whenever I want
  • Having a flexible work schedule
  • Free time
  • The sound of rain on the tin roof
  • Hitchhiking everywhere (boleias)
  • Getting free veggies from my produce ladies (bacelas)
  • Sleeping under a mosquito net and feeling like a princess
  • Lighting the trash pit on fire
  • Giving people the thumbs up whenever I pass
  • Having an empregada to clean up after me
  • Wearing flipflops everywhere
  • My Peace Corps friends
  • Fresh fruit (especially mangoes, papayas, pineapple, tangerines)
  • Sitting outside in the shade when it's hot
  • Greeting everybody I pass
  • My host family in Namaacha
  • Getting 9 hours of sleep every day
  • Patio time
  • Meio frango (Grilled ½ chicken on the bone)

Things I won't miss
  • Sweating constantly
  • Dirty feet
  • SAND. EVERYWHERE.
  • Chapas
  • Sexual harassment
  • Being called “China”
  • People hissing at me
  • Waiting....
  • Work frustrations
  • Xima (the food, not the dog)
  • Camel spiders and big roaches
  • Rodents scuttling overhead
  • Lizard poop
  • Being the only one at at meeting who doesn't understand Changana
  • Being stared at
  • People asking me for money
  • Loud music coming from every house
  • Bucket baths
  • Volunteer Report Form (VRF)
  • Faulty electricity
  • Bank lines
  • How there's only “one way” to do things
  • Corruption
  • Running out of phone credit 
  • Mosquitoes

0 comments:

Post a Comment