Two roads diverged in a wood, and I- I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference.

-Robert Frost-

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Bittersweet


This week, I received a site visit- two MOZ18ers taking a break from training in Namaacha to shadow a currently serving volunteer and see what it’s like out in the “real world.”  Six weeks in, they’re practically “Fresh off the plane.” Their Portuguese is in progress, and they don’t know much about life in Moz outside of the bubble of Namaacha. But they’re bright eyed and eager to learn, and I see in them glimpses of the trainee I once was.  For one thing, they’re still obsessed with the concept of time. “What time does the chapa get here?” “How long will it take?” were questions I responded to with “The chapa gets here when it gets here.” And “It’ll take anywhere between 1 and 3 hours.” You learn quickly that time is a fluid concept in Africa.
            Of course, one of the first things I did was take my trainees to the beach. (Hey, PCVs from other countries don’t call us “Beach Corps” for nothing!) I awed them with my boleia skills, inspired them with my capulana wardrobe, and impressed them with my abundance of dogs and puppies. (I almost even let one of them take one of the puppies back to Namaacha…)  
            We went shopping at the Xai Xai market and stocked up on goodies like chocolate, cheese, tortillas, and cookies. Later, we made quesadillas at home and sent one over to my theatre jovens, who asked, “Is this pizza?”
            The 18ers went to work with me and asked tons of questions about everything.  I had them work with the children at CACHES in order to practice their Portuguese. Limbo, red light / green light, and Pictionary were all big hits.
            But mostly, we spent our afternoons hanging out on my front patio, which is one of my favorite pastimes. It was soooo wonderful to hang out with other Americans at site. I think I’m ready for my replacement to get here (mid August) and to have a “site mate” again. Granted, if we get along. That being said, I wouldn’t mind at all having either of my two site visitors be my replacement. But that’s just wishful thinking. They will, however, find out in less than a week!! Stay tuned for updates on the next PCV coming to Chicumbane.
            I can’t believe I’m leaving Mozambique in less than 90 days!!! As some of you know, I have been approved for early COS and will be leaving Moz on October 11.
As the days fly by, I’m feeling very mixed emotions. I’ve been looking forward to going home and being with Kev, for so long. But Mozambique has been my home for two years and it’ll be so hard to say goodbye. I tear up when I think about leaving my dogs and my friends in Chicumbane.
It’ll be so bittersweet.

0 comments:

Post a Comment