Two roads diverged in a wood, and I- I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference.

-Robert Frost-

Monday, November 28, 2011

Legacy

I recently had a conversation with another volunteer who told me that when she arrived at site, all of her neighbors and coworkers were pleasantly surprised to find that "all Americans aren't lazy and rude" like the previous volunteer had made them believe. "Oh. You like to work?" They said, "Your predecessor only liked to drink and have lovers." Yikes.
This conversation made me think a lot about the kind of legacy I'd like to leave in Mozambique. Like my friend, I am also replacing another PCV. In fact, I'm just the most recent in a long string of PCV's in Chicumbane. But unlike my friend, the previous volunteer(s) in my place weren't lazy and useless. On the contrary, my main problem when I got to this site was, "What do I do that the previous volunteers haven't already done?" How do I, in essence, reinvent the wheel?
This, for me, is still a constant source of insecurity. I probably won't be loved by all the kids in the neighborhood like "Mana Meggy" was. I probably won't write a big grant for my organization like Emily did. But I'd like to think that I have something to contribute, even if I don't exactly know what yet. At the end of two years, I don't want my community to say, "Vivienne who?"

0 comments:

Post a Comment