Two roads diverged in a wood, and I- I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference.

-Robert Frost-

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

You Say Hello, and I Say Goodbye

The realization that Chibuto will soon no longer be my home, makes everything take on a new color. On my way to the city, I walked halfway out to the main road before deciding to turn back to get my camera. As I strolled by again, I snapped pictures of a boy weaving a straw mat, and of a teacher having class outside (not because the weather was so nice, but because many schools don't have enough classrooms and/or desks and/or chairs).
In Chibuto, I stopped by my Chinese friend Lee's shop, and broke the news to him that I'll be moving soon. He was really sad about it. Of all the people I've met here, Lee is one of the best. He came from mainland China with his wife a number of years ago, but she got pregnant and went back home. He says he's going back too, when he has enough money, but it won't be for at least a few more years. I don't think he's ever met his son.
His Portuguese isn't very good so he has a hard time communicating with even his store help. I talk to him in Mandarin and I think for him it's a huge relief to have someone to speak his native tongue with. I only see him once a week, when I go to Chibuto to do shopping, but whenever I buy anything, he always gives me a discount. (If it's something small, he'll often give it to me for free.) He'll bring me things from his house that can't be found in Mozambique like chopsticks, Chinese noodles, dried clams… Just one foreigner helping out another.
I think he's lonely. I gave him a puppy a few months ago but unfortunately, it ran away. When I told him about moving to Chicumabane, he said, "I won't have any friends here anymore." I promised to come back to visit, and said that we could always meet up in XaiXai for a beer or something.
Before continuing my errands, I asked to take a picture of him in his store to remember everything by. Afterwards, he pulled out his phone and asked to take a picture of me. His empregados, who all know me, all started pulling out their phones and taking pictures of me too and suddenly I had no idea who was taking pictures of who. A brief and awkward photoshoot ensued, one that must have confused the customers entering the store.

I finally was able to tell my Art Club kids that I was moving, as well. They hadn't been by in a few weeks, as they've been busy gathering straw to bring back and weave mats with. (I don't think that they've even been attending school because of this family project.)
When I told them about Chicumbane, they asked me, "So what are you going to give us when you leave?" which kind of offended me. I told them that they should be the ones giving me a present because I always give them stuff, and they just laughed. I went back into my house shaking my head at the "ungrateful brats" but twenty minutes later, they were back again at my fence with folded up pieces of paper in their hands. As I opened them up, both boys hid their faces in their hands, embarrassed. They had both written me (on lined paper ripped out of a school notebook, and in terrible cursive) a short card/letter that stated sentiments along the lines of: "Mana Vivienne, don't forget me I really like you and have a lot of fun with you. I will be really sad when you leave. Have a good trip." One of the pieces of paper had a heart and arrow, and the other a scrawny person (that is meant to be either me or him, I'm not sure) surrounded by accidentally phallic looking trees and flowers. I couldn't help but laugh. I just love these kids. I wouldn't give them an A for creativity, but I'd definitely give them an A for heart And maybe I'll even give them a few toys when I leave.

It's hard to express what a great friend I've found in Yoko, the Japanese volunteer. (I am close with Erica and Alycia too but it's a little different, because they've always had each other.) Interestingly enough, JICA volunteers are mostly male (completely contrary to Peace Corps) so Yoko doesn't have very many girl friends in Mozambique.
We cook for each other a few times a week- pork is her specialty and desserts are mine. (I gave her a copy of the Peace Corps Moz cookbook, and suggested she translate it into Japanese to submit as a JICA resource- I'm surprised they don't anything like that, because it's been so useful during my service.)
We are working on creating a little garden for her, where we will transplant all of my blossoming tomato, okra, and watermelon plants. That way, at least someone I know will be able to reap the benefits of my hard work.

Wish me luck! I'm moving tomorrow.

0 comments:

Post a Comment